A smoke detector is one of the most important safety devices inside your home. Properly working smoke detectors are crucial. If you are wondering if you need an electrician to replace these smoke detectors, follow our guide below.
What Are The Differences Between Hardwired And Battery-Powered Smoke Detectors?
As you could have guessed, battery-powered smoke detectors feature batteries and are individually functioning systems. Meanwhile, hardwired smoke detectors will be installed directly into the existing electrical system. This means it will function as a network.
Hardwired smoke detectors still have batteries, but merely as a backup power source in the event of a home power outage. Hardwired units are much more common nowadays compared to battery-powered units.
Pros Of Hardwired Smoke Detectors
- The first pro is that homeowners won’t have to constantly change batteries. Hardwired smoke detectors are working as long as your home has power.
- You will only have to change out detectors once every ten years.
- These detectors do not feature that annoying, chirping sound commonly heard from battery-powered alarms.
- They are safer than battery-powered detectors because they are interconnected throughout the home.
Cons Of Hardwired Smoke Detectors
- The installation process is much tougher with hardwired units. Unless you have extensive electrical knowledge, you will need a professional electrician for this task.
- These detectors are slightly more prone to false alarms. Most units will self-test after 12 hours and if there is any faulty wiring, it can cause issues.
Should An Electrician Install A Hardwired Smoke Detector?
Beyond the simple dangers of working with electricity, there are numerous reasons why you should always hire an experienced electrician for hardwired installations.
Electricians Know Where To Install Smoke Detectors
Electricians have the experience and expertise to know exactly where the smoke detectors need to be installed. Homeowners may be able to research basic guidelines for installation, but only electricians should handle this task.
Electricians Will Fully Connect Your System
Hardwired smoke detectors will work in unison in order to protect the home. However, this depends on perfect wiring. It is easy to get this wrong, so an inexperienced person should refrain from doing this installation.
Your Home Will Be Kept Up To Code
The National Electrical Code will change rules and regulations every couple years so it is possible to make a mistake during installation. Licensed electricians will ensure all smoke detector work is up to code.
Electricians Can Recommend The Best Smoke Detectors
Experienced electricians will know which brands are superior in both effectiveness and quality. They will make sure every homeowner gets the best detector for their money.
DIY Vs Professional Installation
While a DIY installation is possible, it’s always recommended to opt for professional installation. If you choose to do this task yourself, you must possess a good understanding of electrical circuits prior to the project. If you don’t have the proper experience, contact the team at Shield’s Electric Inc for help today!
SHIELD’S ELECTRIC IN TEMPE, ARIZONA
Family owned and operated since 1957, Shields Electric, Inc. is one of Arizona’s most experienced electrical contractors. Our commercial, residential and institutional clients benefit from our decades of experience in a wide range of market segments and project types throughout the state of Arizona. Contact us today for a free quote!